Meet the candidates. This Special Election is for the seat previously held by Assembly Member Rob Bonta, now CA Attorney General. The video contains clips from the Candidate Forum held on June 2, 2021, hosted by the Redwood Heights Association. The candidates on the ballot are Janani Ramachandran and Mia Bonta. The 18th Assembly District Special General Election is to be held on August 31, 2021.
Per the Alameda County Registrar of Voters
Vote Safely & Stay Healthy
For the August 31, 2021, 18th Assembly District Special General Election, we are mailing every registered voter a Vote by Mail ballot.
Vote at home! Vote by mail!
- 0:21 About CA State Assembly
- 1:57 Opening Statements
- 4:20 Question 1: What are your top three priorities for the district?
- 8:30 Question 2: How do you define police reform? What steps do you plan to take to address it?
- 12:49 Question 3: What are your plans to address the unhoused?
- 17:18 Question 4: Do you support a single-payer healthcare system? If so, how do you envision it would work. If not, why?
- 21:16 Question 5: How would you assess how the state values, manages, and maintains open spaces and parks? What can you do to improve funding for this work?
- 26:05 Question 6: Oakland comprises a large part of District 18 and has many unique challenges. What will you do to understand and best represent our city?
- 30:30 Question 7: What skills and experience do you have that make you especially qualified to represent this district?
- 35:34 Question 8: How would you describe your working relationship with others
- 40:23 Closing Statements