Meet the candidates running for the California State Assembly District 18. This Special Election is for the seat previously held by Assembly Member Rob Bonta, now CA Attorney General. The following candidates are running in the special primary for California State Assembly District 18 on June 29, 2021, and participated in this forum:
There were eight questions, plus the candidate's opening and closing statements. The timing is as follows:
- 4:18 About CA State Assembly
- 7:25 Opening Statements
- 12:04 Question 1: What are your top three priorities for the district?
- 22:17 Question 2: How do you define police reform? What steps do you plan to take to address it?
- 28:41 Question 3: What are your plans to address the unhoused?
- 36:59 Question 4: Do you support a single-payer healthcare system? If so, how do you envision it would work. If not, why?
- 44:55 Question 5: How would you assess how the state values, manages, and maintains open spaces and parks? What can you do to improve funding for this work?
- 54:01 Question 6: Oakland comprises a large part of District 18 and has many unique challenges. What will you do to understand and best represent our city?
- 1:05:46 Question 7: What skills and experience do you have that make you especially qualified to represent this district?
- 1:12:08 Question 8: How would you describe your working relationship with others
- 1:21:06 Closing Statements
The top two vote-getters move on to the Special General Election on August 31, 2021, regardless of party preference, OR a candidate can win outright by getting a majority of the vote (50 percent + 1) in the primary election.
This event was on Wednesday, June 2, 2021.
Check out the RHA Events page for upcoming RHA events!